Due to the financial cuts facing public schools across Arizona, the Florence Unified School District has employed the Arizona Department of Corrections (AzDOC) Inmates to provide outdoor maintenance services for our district. This program has been in effect since the early 2000's. These services are provided at a very low wage and under the supervision of retired AzDOC employees who have at least 10 years of experience and left AzDOC on good terms. Here is a list of some specifics on how the Arizona Department of Corrections works with school districts across the state:
- The AZDOC clears some of their low custody inmates to work in public.
- The salary for inmates is 50¢ per hour, as opposed to the current Arizona legal minimum wage of $12.15 per hour.
- They are supervised by an FUSD Employee that is approved by the AZDOC.
- They present no threat to the community.
- It is strictly prohibited for an inmate to have any communication with or come in close proximity to students at any time.
For additional information on this program, please call (520) 251-6085.