Florence's kindergarten programs are designed to improve students' development in several ways, including:
- social skills (how to play with other children in a calm, sharing, rewarding manner);
- self-awareness and respect for others;
- emotional skills (understanding others' feelings);
- language, literacy, and numeracy skills, including reading and counting;
- a joy for learning, communicating and collaborating;
- ability to make new friends; and
- exposure to new ideas and concepts.
FUSD schools help kindergarten students grow into academic enrichment programs. Accelerated gifted and talented models are offered at each campus.
Students' day-to-day schedule includes: workshop centers, reading/ELA, Math, Reading Groups, Social Studies, Science and Thematic Units. Students will also participate in the specials: Music, Physical Education, Library, Technology and Art.
Below is an example of a typical kindergarten schedule:
- Attendance/lunch count/pledge
- Classroom work
- AM snack and recess
- Quiet time/water and bathroom break
- Science or Social Studies
- PM Recess
- Pack up/free study