FUSD Transportation Responsibilities
- FUSD utilizes both school buses and passenger vans to transport students. Arizona’s child restraint statutes exempt school buses from compliance. However, if your child requires assistance with being seated and weighs less than 40 pounds, we may utilize a bus car seat.
- All transportation team members are CPR and First Aid trained and have received other training relating to transporting students with special needs.
- You may have a different transportation team in the morning and the afternoon.
- Drivers are not authorized to honk their horns at the bus stops, so please do not ask them to. Remember, the bus is only scheduled to wait three minutes after the scheduled pick-up time for your child to board. It is important that drivers remain on schedule to the best of their ability. If they are delayed just 3 minutes at each home, they will eventually be running 30 minutes behind schedule. Please help us be on time.
- If your child’s bus has a monitor on board, they will help your child on and off the bus if they need assistance with the stairs. The bus monitor or driver will not carry students up and down the stairs. Parents may carry their child up and down the stairs if they are unable to do so on their own. The monitor will ensure the child is buckled in properly before the bus moves. We only transport students to and from a location within the assigned Special Education Program guidelines.
Parent & Guardian Responsibilities
- Call 520-868-8800 to let us know if your child does not need the morning or afternoon bus.
- Provide a single pick-up address and a single drop-off address that is specific to your child’s special needs program guidelines.
- We do not pick-up or drop-off at businesses or other non-residential locations except child care centers, also in the guideline (3 miles).
- Accompany your child to and from the bus stop each day. Be at the bus stop five minutes before your child’s scheduled bus arrival time.
- Let the driver and/or monitor know anything that you feel will help them to ensure your child has a safe and calm bus ride. Please make sure to have your IEP team include any care details (short or long-term) that might be helpful for your child’s experience while on the bus, and list them on the Transportation Request Form.